November 19, 2020. Here are a few of my own assumptions as way of background for this article:
- Customers are pretty keen to put 2020 to bed and enjoy the Christmas break
- Interstate consumers are showing signs of wanting to head to QLD during the break
- We think customers mindsets will be more forward thinking in January
- The property market looks like it will be strong in the first quarter
Based on these assumptions, it’s likely there will be a groundswell of developers busily building a compelling New Year campaign. Not dissimilar to any other year really, except this time they really need to convert….due in some cases to a sluggish 2020.
I can only imagine that our consumers are going to be flooded with variations of the same messages; New Year, Fresh Start, New Beginnings, Summer Sales – sound familiar right? I’m not saying this is the wrong message…but perhaps the question you need to ask yourself is, will this help me stand out in a cluttered market?
Have you really challenged yourself to think differently this time? We’ve all been busy, but maybe its time to really go deep to understand how you can deliver marketing to your customers that will guide them through December and keep you top of mind as they emerge in January?
Here’s a few questions/thought provokers to get you thinking:
- Should December messaging be used to convert in December or set yourself up for success in January – March?
- How passive should your messaging be in December? Remember this December is not the same as others.
- If all the competitors will have a New Year message in market, is this the best use of your messaging? Or have they done the heavy lifting? What is really the best message and what direction is your message best pointed – ATL, BTL?
- Are your Christmas Hours going to be the same as last year? Should this need some consideration?
- Our customers have been through a lot of change this year and most likely have had waves of motivation to make a move or sell the house….but with time sometimes those thoughts go on the back burner…how are you reigniting the fire?
- How are you layering your campaign? Is it all ATL via your standard media avenues or are you considering a different mix? How are the database being considered compared to new pipeline?
- Do you know how your local real estate market is performing? If not, ask them.
- Do you know what your customers plans are over Christmas and into the New Year? If not, ask them.
It’s not about having all the answers, it’s just about being aware that there may be a better way to prepare for January…and if you leave it too late, you won’t get the results.